Saturday, January 1, 2011

Christmas and New Year's 2010/2011

Well another Christmas and New Year's come and gone. I went home to visit Mom and Dad for almost a week which is a lot for me. Mom seems to be coming down with Parkinson's so that is not a good indication for her. I may have to consider calling or going home more often. Dad seems to be doing a good job with dealing with this and keeping their affairs in order, although he does feel the stress from it all. I will pray for the both of them.

I came back Thursday evening before New Year's and was greatful to have some time to myself, something many introverts seem to appreciate for themselves. Again I was involved with the First Night events in Leesburg. There are about 20 venues one has a choice from for seeing. I of course as a volunteer only went to a few of them, counting attendance at quarter past the hour for each venue I was assigned or volunteered to cover. Magicians, animal trainers, many bluegrass/folks singers and some comedy routines were mostly what there was. One act was unusual: 12th century music from South America. Very talented artists! The lead instrumentalists in front often plate the lute and would sort of play off of each other at heated moments in their songs so it was kind of a thrill. After that there was a barbershop quartet who happened to be the entertainment for my ham radio group's Christmas dinner a few weeks ago, which I did not get to go to, so I was really interested in hearing them. They were pretty good, but some of the familiar numbers they played (a couple from the 50s and from Music Man) were not played quite the way I had remembered and I didn't like that, but it was OK. That rounded out the evening for me and I pulled down some of the event signage at that location, returned them to headquarters, watched the assemblage in the town square for a minute and then beat the crowd out of the parking area just before 12 midnight.

Today I spent my time all in the house, on the computer and watching TV. Guess I need church or a hobby to keep myself busy, but honestly this time of year is just usually uneventful so I just have to deal with it. I will work some OT tomorrow, Sunday, and don't expect anyone to be at work so that will be kind of nice. (I must have a small amygdalla can't you tell?)

Several times lately I have experienced weird though not necessarily unexplainable events here in the Tollhouse. Just this morning as I was watching TV and waking up, I swear I heard a slap somewhere in the house as though one of my mousetraps had gone off, and I swear I also heard squealing as though a mouse had been caught.... None of my traps had gone off, though a sticky trap (just a large flat rectangular black plastic with an extremely sticky upper side) was a bit out of place. Never could figure out just what happened or caused that slap noise.

Another weird happening that I believe is explainable is that I here noises right next to me while watching TV. I think its just the acoustics of the room and the "new" TV my previous roommate had left me. It must have a kind of surround sound and its a little freaky and fun even to hear these sounds where I don't expect them.

I have a bird feeder and have been observing (in order of common observation): Carolina chickadee, Tufted Titmouse, White-Breasted Nuthatch, American goldfinch, Eastern Bluebirds, and cowbirds. The bluebirds are new for me and I may consider putting up a bluebird birdhouse as this is something lots of people seem to be doing. They want one house for every 300 feet, so I can only put up one, maybe two, considering the size of my one-acre property. These birds are very territorial evidently.

That's all for now from Lovettsville Tollhouse. Where the women (if there were any) are strong, the men are good looking (of course! in a Patrick Stewart kind of way though), and the children above average... if there were any :)
Be Healthy, Do Good Work and, Keep in Touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment